Variant Effect Predictor
VEP determines the effect of your variants (SNPs, insertions, deletions, CNVs or structural variants) on genes, transcripts, and protein sequence, as well as regulatory regions. Simply input the coordinates of your variants and the nucleotide changes to find out the:
- genes and transcripts affected by the variants
- location of the variants (e.g. upstream of a transcript, in coding sequence, in non-coding RNA, in regulatory regions)
- consequence of your variants on the protein sequence (e.g. stop gained, missense, stop lost, frameshift)
- known variants that match yours, and associated minor allele frequencies from the 1000 Genomes Project
- SIFT and PolyPhen scores for changes to protein sequence
- ... And more! See data types, versions.
Standalone perl script
- More options, more flexibility
- For large volumes of data
- Language-independent API
- Simple URL-based queries
- GET single variants, POST many
If you use VEP, please cite our UPDATED publication so we can continue to support VEP development:
McLaren W, Gil L, Hunt SE, Riat HS, Ritchie GR, Thormann A, Flicek P, Cunningham F.
The Ensembl Variant Effect Predictor.
Genome Biology Jun 6;17(1):122. (2016)